Articles

The Church Building

The present church, which is a grade two listed building, was completed around 1873 and the vestry added in 1883. This building was built on the site of a church believed to be of Saxon origin. This was demolished and the present one built during the time when the Reverend Robert Gordon (brother of ‘Gordon of Khartoum’) was the vicar of the parish.

The church is of the early English style of architecture, built of stone and consists of a Nave of three bays, a chancel, north aisle and a tower which is surmounted by a spire. On the north side is the vestry and the porch. The large entrance to the porch is in the style of a Gothic archway. The organ chamber is at the east end of the north aisle with a central heating boiler below. There is both a sound amplification and a sound induction loop system installed in the church. The latest quinquenial inspection was carried out on 28th October 2009 (copy report available) by an architect selected from the approved list provided by the diocese.

The report is very comprehensive and recommendations are provided in three sections:

Section One - Urgent Work All works in this section were carried out.

Section two – Works to be carried out during the following twelve months. All works were carried out during this period?

Section three – Works recommended to be carried out during the quinquenial period All works were carried out as recommended in this section during the period October 2011 and January 2012 by the contractor under the supervision of the architect.

A grant for 75% of the cost of the contract was obtained from Staffordshire Environmental Fund and the remaining 25% was raised by the PCC and other members of the parish with several events, the most rewarding of which was a day of prayer and giving which raised over £7000.00. The next quinquenial inspection is due during October 2014 when works needing consideration beyond the present quinquenial period will need to be actioned.

The items listed in the report of October 2009 are likely to be very expensive as stone work to the tower and the spire will require remedial works. The wall in Church Lane may require some attention, the ladder to the belfry requires replacement and the saddle bars to the stained Glass windows will need attention The attention to the timber floor of the south side of the nave was carried out by members of the PCC during 2010 when some of the timbers were found to be decayed.

We are aware that the next quinquenial may find other items that will need attention, and the plan of the PCC is to continue to raise funds for the maintenance of the church. Following the next inspection we will engage the architect to obtain quotations for the necessary works and then seek further grants early in 2015 by which time we hope to have raised sufficient funds to cover the church’s contribution .